Skip to main content

Jets Black Helmets Review

There are very few topics on which all Jets fans agree. There are a few things we all agree on, such as Joe Klecko belongs in the Hall of Fame, the 2022 draft class has the potential to be one of the best ever, and Adam Gase was a disaster in every way.

But with most topics like uniforms, Jets fans tend to be divided. When the team redesigned the logo and uniforms in 2019, everything from the logo to the font to the addition of black became a topic of debate. 

It seems as though a lot of people have now warmed up to the black as perhaps the sleakest and most appealing uniforms in the team's arsenal now. But in recent months on Jets social media, there has been a heavy demand for a throwback uniform reminiscent of the 1980's with the Jets airplane logo and the kelly green.

So this week, when team owner Woody Johnson teased a helmet reveal on Twitter, it got fans talking. Now that the NFL is allowing alternate helmets for the first time, what would the Jets add?

They did not add a white helmet, they did not add a retro look. Rather they added a stealth black helmet to complement the black jerseys, which the team will wear for three home games this season.

Let's look at the helmet up close from a couple of different angles.

The first thing I'm fond of is that the word "Jets" is placed right smack dab on the front of the helmet. If I had one complaint about the uniform design, it was that the word Jets was only found on the side of the helmet. And with the white lettering on the green helmet it didn't necessarily pop. But here you see the Jets up front when the TV camera cuts to a close up of a given player. I think that's a positive addition.

What I don't understand is the hexagon shape at the top of the helmet. Is that for safety, is that supposed to be some kind of unique design? What is the relevance of it? 


I'm a huge fan of the Gotham green face mask. I could have dealt with white, and I think black would have been excessive. But the green mask is going to be a different look than anyone else in the league, so props on that.


Perhaps the biggest criticism that I have seen is the font of the word Jets on the side of the helmet. It doesn't affect me one way or another, I think I need to see how it will look on TV. My biggest criteria is it has to be easy to read when the team is lined up. I don't want it to look like a big green blob.

That said, I am a fan of the color scheme. I do not like when a team has dark on dark. Case in point the navy and orange Chicago Bears uniforms. If the Jets simply had the green letters on the black helmet, I think it would have looked absurd. But the white outline will help the letters to pop, so I'm a fan of that.




There's one other feature I wanted to talk about, and this was about the best angle I could find of the back side of the helmet. I like the New York on the back side in the same font that it appears on the front of the jersey. Although I still think the green home jerseys should have the word Jets on it, and the road whites can still display New York.

All things considered, I like the addition of the black helmet to the Jets uniforms; it makes a lot of sense to replace the green helmets when they wear the stealth black jerseys. I think they're going to look extra sharp for that Thursday night game against Jacksonville when they play under the lights of Met Life Stadium.

And as for the idea of a throwback 80's style jersey goes, there's always a chance and it could be a cool idea if it's done once a year. But I'm in no real rush to see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jets Draft Targets I Would Avoid

 We are just days away from the NFL draft. Those of us who watch little, if any college football during the fall, suddenly have become draft experts. Guys we didn't know 2 months ago, we could now tell you where they went to high school, their favorite dog's name, and their favorite movie. We get fascinated with certain prospects, then a new name comes along, and we're onto the next name. So with the Jets needing an influx of talent at so man positions and with an abundance of premium picks, it's not just about knowing who to pick. Just as important is knowing who not to pick. With so many players on our radar, who should we beware of? Here are a few well known prospects I do not want to see the Jets draft and my reasons why. Travon Walker, Edge When I look at Walker, I see a 3-4 rugged defensive end, as his lower body bend is limited. Plus, he's pushing 300 pounds. In a 4-3 defense, I want my pass rushers to be quick and explosive. I do not see Walker possessing th...

Jets-Comparing Our Mock Drafts to the 2022 NFL Draft

 Well, the 2022 NFL draft is officially in the books. As Jets fans, we had been waiting on this draft for four months, even before the 2021 season had come to an end. We knew the Jets were going to enter the draft with a plethora of holes and many premium picks to fill those holes. And on the GreenBean channel, we did 15 mock drafts over 4+ months to project what we would do if we were in Joe Douglas' shoes and were in charge of the draft. So let's take a look at what our tendencies and favorite players were, then figure out what our ideal mock draft would have looked like, and then compare that to what the Jets actually ended up doing on that late April weekend. Who did we pick the most? Our top first round selections were edge Jermaine Johnson and C Tyler Linderbaum, who were taken 4 times. There were three players we selected in the first round 3 times: Sauce Gardner, Evan Neal, Kyle Hamilton, and George Karlaftis. By far, tight end Trey McBride was the apple of the collecti...

The Evolution of Edwin Diaz

One of the most infamous trades in Mets history took place on December 3, 2018 when they traded OF Jay Bruce, RP Anthony Swarzak, and three of their top prospects to Seattle for two players: 36 year old 2B Robinson Cano and young stud closer Edwin Diaz. This trade has been dissected endlessly by the baseball media and Mets fans. As soon as the trade was finalized, it was distressing to learn the Mets were taking on the remainder of Robinson Cano's contract, which was 5 years and $120 million. So, the hope was Diaz would emerge as a great closer. Not a good one, but an elite closer. And that's what he had been in his years as a Mariner. Here are some of Diaz' stats from 2016-2018. 3 years in Seattle 2.64 ERA 14.2 K/9 109 saves 12 blown saves 90 save percentage And his first season, 2019, was one of the most disappointing in team history. Let's look at those numbers. 2019 58 innings 26 saves 7 blown saves 78 save percentage 58 hits 15 home runs 36 earned runs 5.59 ERA 22 ...